Friday, February 3, 2012

The 2012 Garden - Gearing up

I have so much to tell everyone, but have been so busy there hasn't been much time to blog.

I wanted to get this out today though - have you purchased your seeds yet?  If you buy open pollinated (OP), organic seeds, the supply is limited because of crop failures last year.

Who I buy from:

Nichols Garden Seeds (see link on the left).  Order your potatoes now!  And they have some great prices on heat cable if like me you are going to cheat.  this year I am going to put heat cable in one of my raised beds, put the row cover on and start my seeds in that environment.  Like having a mini greenhouse.  Will have pictures as soon as supplies arrive and I get everything set up.

Uprising Seeds
http://uprisingorganics.com/vegetables/lettuce-lactuca-sativus-/romaine/flashy-trouts-back-heirloom-/prod_27.html

Flashy Trouts Back Romaine


I love this seed supplier.  they have seed growers throughout the NW that supply them; they are listed right in the front of your catalog, so you know where your seeds are coming from.  If you click on the link above, it will take you to one of the new varieties of romaine that I am trying out this year.  Just placed my order and can't wait till everything comes. But supplies are limited; some of the seeds I wanted were already sold out!

Fortex French Filet beans

Beaujolais Spinach


So get your seeds ordered - NOW!

Our big project last weekend was removing the boxwood hedge:


This hedge is 5 feet wide and takes up a lot of growing room

My son-in-law Jeremy and his Uncle Doug - what great guys!



A Truck, a chain, a sunny day...

Hedge all gone



Temporary fence up
We are supposed to have a week of sunny weather, so I need to get my fence in, blueberries planted, grapes and berries pruned, several new raised beds built, before we get the 3 months of rain we usually get after this "false spring".  Will post info as I can!

Robin

1 comment:

  1. Wow, those were some deep roots! Glad you got that hedge all out!

    ReplyDelete