|The marionberry vines for this years crop had grown all the way down to the ground and were rooting beneath the mulch. I ran 2 x 3 cedar stringers between the support posts, trimmed the vines, and ran them along the lateral supports.|
|Laterals put on the berry supports and vines trained to run along them.|
|I pulled off some of the dry straw on top of the beds and shredded it - added this to my winter mulch between the beds to discourage weeds and grass from coming up.|
|Strawberry bed #1 - this was the bed that I put straw on to overwinter the berry plants. when I took it all off, I saw that the damp wet straw had killed off some of the plants, and the ones that were left didn't look too healthy...|
|This was the strawberry bed with the straw mulch|
|Strawberry bed #2 - this was the bed that I didn't put straw on for mulch - I used a winter weight row cover. These plants fared much better, but I did have some slug damage. I should have been putting some sluggo down earlier. |
|This pic was taken after I cut back some old leaves, and then thinned out the plants and repopulated the 1st bed with some of the runners I found in here.|
Then the rains returned, and colder weather. It rained so much - between a quarter inch to an inch of rain - every day. It was so cold, sometimes the high for the day was only in the low forties. Then the forecast called for the possibility of snow.
In the Northwest, in the Willamette Valley, when the forecasters call for snow in spring, we usually get a light dusting and then it melts by the next morning. So that is what I expected. That is not what happened.
|This is what we woke up to - My poor rosemary, bent in half from the weight of heavy snow, up to 5 inches in spots. About a third of the upper part of my rosemary bush was broken - I did a lot of harvesting after brushing off the snow.|
|This was the biggest shock - every row cover except for one had collapsed under the weight of the snow - 4 - 5 inches of heavy, weight, snow.|
|The new herb bed|